Pets with allergic sensitivities may suffer needlessly with excessive itching or may be given improper treatment if their allergy is not recognized and diagnosed. Our hospital routinely tests dogs and cats for sensitivity to a wide array of allergens ranging from insects and grasses to trees and molds. After eliminating various causes of itching, such as parasites, foods, and infectious agents, testing for inhalant allergens through intradermal and blood testing is the next logical diagnostic tool. Additionally, at AMH, we are familiar with the Charlotte area’s most common antigens that cause allergies in pets.
What is involved in allergy testing?
- Testing requires staying in the hospital for part of the day to complete the test.
- We use mild sedation used during the skin test to prevent any discomfort.
- Results can be interpreted within 30 minutes of test completion.
- Blood tests require 2 weeks for results.
- Doing both tests simultaneously helps obtain the most reliable information.
- You may need to temporarily suspend certain pet medications prior to testing.
"We have been coming to Animal Medical Hospital since 1984, almost the very beginning of the establishment of this hospital and feel this is an excellent place to have our canine companions cared for. We also like the fact that there are 24/7 hours in case of an emergency. Everyone that works there is doing an excellent job."