Proper nutrition is an important component of your pet’s wellness regime. Your veterinarian will help you make healthful adjustments to your pet’s diet based on his or her age, weight, activity level, and the existence of any special medical conditions. Observing your pet’s eating habits and fluctuations in weight and appearance are critical in the early detection of medical conditions and any significant changes should be reported to your veterinarian.
We have a large variety of prescription and non-prescription diets and we can special order a diet for your pet if we do not carry it. Our hospital carries canine and feline diets from the following companies:
- Royal Canin
- Hills Feline Science Diet (non-prescription)
- Hills Feline Prescription Diet
- Hills Canine Science Diet (non-prescription)
- Hills Canine Prescription Diet
- Dental care chews and diets
- Food allergy diets
- Joint supplements
- Skin, hair and coat supplements
All of our veterinarians are trained in the area of nutrition, but Dr. Kerri Blackburn has a special interest in nutrition and can help you evaluate the current diet that your pet is on and provide nutritional statistics. Our veterinarians offer guidance in the following areas of nutrition:
- Life stage diets—Our veterinarians can help you provide the nutrition your pet needs for every stage of his or her life, from a 6-week-old Labrador retriever to a middle aged Siamese cat. We want your pet to live a long and happy life and nutrition is an important factor in that.
- Nutritional counseling and education—Our veterinarians can evaluate your pet’s current diet and will help you select a balanced diet that will meet your pet’s specific needs. Our veterinarians will also discuss with you how to prevent certain diseases through a balanced diet.
- Special-needs diets—We carry many diets that aid in the management of diseases and afflictions, including urinary tract disease, joint disease, gastrointestinal disease, dental disease, liver disease, sensitive stomach, and allergies.
- Weight management—Maintaining a lean body weight can help your pet live a longer, healthier life. Our veterinarians will help you choose the right diet to help your pet maintain the correct body weight and receive the nutrients he or she needs.
"I have always found the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable. The extended hours also make it much easier to fit appointments into my daily life."