Bringing a puppy or kitten into your family marks the beginning of a very happy, sometimes trying, and always exciting time in your life! Animal Medical Hospital wants to help you and your new pet get off to a great start together. We recommend scheduling your first visit with a veterinarian at 6 weeks of age, usually as soon as your puppy or kitten joins the family. You can expect this visit to include:
- A comprehensive physical examination of your puppy or kitten
- Your puppy or kitten’s first vaccinations and the development of a vaccination schedule
- Testing for intestinal parasites and de-worming
- Testing for viruses in kittens: Feline Leukemia and Feline Immunodeficiency Virus
- Beginning heartworm preventive and parasite control medication
- Nutrition: what and how much to feed
- Behavior and what to expect or modify (including house training for puppies)
- Answering any questions regarding your new puppy or kitten
During this visit, your veterinarian will also discuss any risks particular to your pet’s breed or environment. Some environmental risks, for example, may affect the types of vaccinations your veterinarian recommends.
Not all of your new pet’s short-term wellness needs can be met in a single visit. New pet owners should plan to make several visits to AMH for wellness exams and vaccination boosters in the first few months of ownership, usually 3 to 4 weeks apart. This will give your veterinarian the opportunity to complete your pet’s initial vaccination series, dispense heartworm medication, and monitor any developing medical or behavioral conditions. Your pet should also undergo spay or neuter surgery between 4 and 6 months of age.
Your pet’s first visit to AMH marks the beginning of a cooperative effort between you and our health care team. The common goal is for you and your new pet to have a happy and healthy relationship! Our hope is to help you achieve this through compassion, experience, and knowledge.
"I am impressed by Dr. Andersen. She’s very knowledgeable. She treats my dog well and takes time to explain things to me."