Veterinary Surgery in Charlotte, North Carolina
Our highly skilled veterinary team is experienced in the most common surgical procedures. After each surgical procedure, surgery patients are placed in our state-of-the-art ICU, where they are monitored 24 hours a day by a veterinary technician with a doctor on call at all times. We strive to make our patients and their families as comfortable as possible, from your pre-surgical consultation to your pet’s dismissal and aftercare. We’re with you every step of the way, applying our commitment and expertise to ensure a safe procedure and a speedy recovery.
Our surgical services include soft tissue as well as some orthopedic procedures. Some of the routine and soft tissue surgeries include spays and neuters, declaws, tumor removal, abdominal surgeries, and mass removal. We do offer laser surgery, which minimizes pain and post-operative swelling.
For scheduled surgeries, we require a pre-surgical visit, which includes:
- Physical exam.
- Blood work to minimize anesthetic risks.
- Updating vaccinations if necessary.
- Discussing the surgical procedure, potential complications, and answering your questions.
- Signing paperwork in order to make the check-in process as efficient as possible.
Our surgeries include the following:
- Equipment to monitor your pet's heart, lungs, oxygen saturation levels, temperature, and blood pressure.
- Fluids to help in reversal of the anesthesia when the surgery is over.
- Pain management before, during, and after your pet’s surgery.
- A surgical nurse to monitor your pet throughout his or her surgical process, from placing him or her under anesthesia, through the surgical procedure, and during his or her recovery from anesthesia.
- Recovery from surgery in our comfortable, quiet ICU, monitored 24 hours a day by our veterinary nurses and our veterinarians.
- Performing surgery throughout the day. The veterinarian or the veterinary surgical nurse will call you with an update once your pet has recovered from anesthesia.
Important Information for Your Pet's Surgery
- No food after 8 p.m. the day before the surgery.
- It is okay to leave water out for your pet prior to surgery.
- Admittance time is 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. the morning of the surgery.
- Please notify us of any medications given 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Depending on the type of surgery your pet is receiving, he or she may be required to spend one night with us for further monitoring of his or her recovery. Your veterinarian will discuss this with you at your pre-surgical visit.
Laser technology has emerged as a breakthrough medical tool that minimizes the negative effects of surgical procedures and expedites cell repair in injured patients.
The main benefits of laser surgery are:
- Reduced bleeding
- Reduced pain
- Reduced swelling
- Faster recovery
CO2 lasers are ideal surgical tools because of the nature of the incisions they form. The laser seals nerve endings as they are cut, significantly reducing pain following the operation. Blood vessels within the soft tissue are similarly sealed, instantly stopping blood loss, which effectively eliminates trauma to the patient and provides the surgeon with an uninhibited view during the operation.
At Animal Medical Hospital and 24 Hour Urgent Care, we offer laser surgery for such common procedures as:
- Feline declaws
- Mass removals
Our surgeons will discuss with you the benefits of laser surgery for your pet and will answer any questions you may have.
To learn more about our surgical procedures, call (704) 334-4684.